Thursday, April 9, 2009

Our Fallen Heroes

Afghan&Military Blog
April 9, 2009 3:32 pm

Our Fallen Heroes



I was met with mixed emotions a few days ago when the media, with permission, observed the return of a fallen member of the military for the first time in 18 years.  This is a result of a policy put in place by the Obama administration.  President George H. W. Bush had put the ban on the media at the start of the Persian Gulf War as a way to shield grieving families.

My experience with the media in Afghanistan included FOX News, CBS News, London Times, and a handful of independent photographers.  In a very short time I soon realized that I didn’t particularly like most media and the way they went about their business.  I observed the media taking what they saw and putting a twist on it so that it would fit their own agenda.

For the sake of our fallen heroes and their families, I hope this new policy doesn’t become tainted by the media and their needs.

Live free or die trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers