Monday, June 15, 2009

The Demons Stopped by

Afghan&Military Blog
June 15, 2009 7:43 am

The Demons Stopped by



If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

They came to visit. Yes they did, the old demons came back to pay me a visit Friday night. I am not sure why, or what motivated them to do it but they came to my front door without an invite or even a courtesy call the night before.

I never really know when they will show up as there is no rhyme or reason as to when they do, but when they do I am always surprised. So on Friday night, after only 3 hours into a 6 hour night of sleep, they snuck up to my dream's front door, made a 4-man stack, kicked it in and threw in a stun grenade to get my attention.

Like I said I was really tired and I think I was in REM sleep at the time, but that didn't matter because the demons from time-past took me from a completely relaxed deep sleep to a wide awake, adrenalin induced startle. It was literally in a matter of seconds that I was jolted awake, breathing heavy, and heart trying to thump out of my chest.

I laid the there wondering "why, what, and WHY?". What did I do to cause this to happen? Why was I laying there with my senses tingling, feeling that old friend I have not felt for a while, Mr. Adrenalin. That familiar friend of times past, that natural high, something that I miss and don't miss all at the same time. It is an awesome feeling and it is truly missed, just not the reasons why I would get that feeling. It was also not an awesome feeling at 3AM.

So I laid there with my mind wide awake, with a lot of questions about what I just saw and experienced. But as the minutes drifted on the adrenalin was slowly soaked back into my body and the sleepiness took back over as I settled back into rest and eventually sleep. From that point forward, it was a very restful (yet short) remaining night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers